Application Procedures

The Department of Civil Engineering offers programs leading to M.A.Sc., and Ph.D. degrees; please see the information contained in the School of Graduate Studies and Postdoctoral Affairs website for a complete description of the types of degree programs available, the requirements for each program, fees, and general admission requirements.


Given the competition for places in our graduate program, and to help the Department to identify well-qualified applicants and areas of research interest, prospective students must contact faculty members with whom they would like to work. If they feel that there is likely to be a suitable project and funding for you, you should submit a formal application. Applicants for non-research (M.Eng.) programs can contact the Graduate Coordinator for more information.

Please review carefully the Application Procedures on the School of Graduate Studies and Postdoctoral Affairs website prior to submitting your application. It will answer most of your questions. After you have reviewed the procedures you should complete the application.

Once all required application materials have been submitted (to include all required documentation and the application fee), it will be considered promptly, and the applicant will be notified of whether they will be recommended to the School of Graduate Studies and Postdoctoral Affairs and Research for acceptance into a particular degree program. Please note that submission of an application does not guarantee acceptance into the graduate program.

All communication concerning your application should be made through School of Graduate Studies and Postdoctoral Affairs.

Language proficiency

All required test scores must be received directly from the testing agency before your application is complete.

English Language Comprehension

At Queen's, English is the language of instruction and communication, except for the language departments. Proficiency in English is a prerequisite for admission. Some programs require satisfactory achievement on the GRE. Please check with the degree program for specific testing needed and scores.
Those applicants whose native languages do not include English will need to earn satisfactory standing in an English Language Proficiency Test as part of the application process, and before final acceptance is granted. Any applicant whose first language is not English, but who, within the 12 month period prior to the month of application, has studied for at least one complete year at a post-secondary institution where English is the official language of instruction, may submit with their application a request to be exempted from the English language proficiency test requirement. The Director of Admissions, School of Graduate Studies and Postdoctoral Affairs, will review the request. The applicant will be informed of the results of the review. 

The following English Language Proficiency tests results are accepted by the School of Graduate Studies and Postdoctoral Affairs:

TOEFL iBT (Test of English as a Foreign Language Internet-based Test)


Score (/30)

Writing Test


Speaking Test


Reading Test


Listening Test


For an overall minimum score of 88 (out of 120).


Applicants must have the minimum score in each test, as well as the minimum overall score.

Please note that the Department of English and the Faculty of Law have higher minimum TOEFL iBT requirements.

TOEFL Paper-Based and Computer-Based Tests

Applicants must meet the minimum score requirements of the department to which they wish to apply. These minimum scores are listed on the individual Program pages.

  • MELAB (Michigan English Language Assessment Battery) - score of 80
  • IELTS (International English Language Testing System) - score of 7 on the academic module
  • Pearson Test of English Academic (PTE Academic) - 65 (minimum score overall)

Please note that if a final grade of 80% or more in ESLA 140 or ESLA 150 from Queen's University's English for Academic Purposes Program is achieved at the time of application, an English language test score may not be required. See Queen's University School of English for details.

How to Submit English Language Test Scores

The School of Graduate Studies and Postdoctoral Affairs is able to accept test scores sent electronically from the testing center for TOEFL , IELTS and PTE Academic. 


Please ensure that you have the testing center release the TOEFL or PTE Academic score to Queen’s University (0949) and inform the School of Graduate Studies and Postdoctoral Affairs (following submission of your application) that your score report is available to retrieve electronically from the official testing center site.  Email:  


Please provide the School of Graduate Studies and Postdoctoral Affairs with the TRF number found on your IELTS score report (following submission of your application) in order for us to obtain your IELTS test score electronically from the IELTS site.  Email:

Note:  We do not require hard copies of your test scores sent from the testing center if they have been obtained electronically from the official TOEFL, IELTS or PTE testing center sites.

Financial Support

Qualified students in a research degree program can expect to receive competitive financial support during their graduate tenure, as long as they maintain acceptable academic standing. Departmental funding sources may include research assistantships, teaching assistantships, and Queen's Graduate Assistantship awards. First-class students are automatically considered for entrance into competition for Queen's Graduate Fellowships and Scholarships, and these students are also encouraged to enter significant provincial (OGS, Ontario Graduate Scholarship) and national (NSERC) scholarship competitions, if eligible. Prospective students currently in undergraduate programs, who are considering entering graduate studies in the Department, are strongly encouraged to apply to OGS and NSERC, if they are qualified and eligible.

Please note the above funding information refers to research students only (MASc & PhD). Students in the MEng. program receive no funding support of any kind from the Department. eg TA, Internal Scholarships, etc.